Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Safe Haven

So, of course, when it's time to put up the Christmas tree, something sets
me off into a really ronchy mood. Disobedience maybe, smart mouths....
fighting, ya, all of that. I felt like I was being crushed.
So, I excused myself and put myself in time out. I actually organized
some things that needed attention. That is therapy for me when I'm mad.

Then I heard the most magical sound in the world.

The vacuum running and the furniture being moved, then more vacuuming.
Then Dallin comes down to my room and said he had a surprise for me.
They were getting ready to put up the Christmas tree. I got out the boxes
for them and they did it all. My husband put up the tree, Chloe put the lights
on it (really well too. Better than I ever did.) and then I helped clear off
some shelves for all of our Nativity sets and all the kids set them up
and now our living room looks Christmasy. And it's really nice.




Yesterday in the awful snowy weather, Sara had to drive to school and then
downtown for some Choir performances. She didn't get home until about 9:30 pm
and was pretty wired from driving and sliding a few times.
The Christmas lights shining through the window was a very welcoming sight to see
when she pulled in the driveway and was relieved to be home. We were so thankful
nothing happened to her and her friends while she was driving, and that they were safe.
I actually offered to drive them downtown, but she refused to let me. She said she needed
to learn to drive in the snow sometime and this is the perfect time. I was nervous all day.
We were so glad she made it home safely.
I realized that our home, the one I don't appreciate sometimes, the one that I wish I could
burn to the ground sometimes, is indeed a safe haven for my children. It feels good here.
It's small, but it's home.

1 comment: