before but, i think there is always room for improvement. And we are all addicted
to sugar. So, we are doing something about it. And because I'm the mom, it kind of
falls on my shoulders. I shop, I cook.
That being said, I think I will get the kids involved. I have read and experienced
the fact that when the kids get involved in what YOU are doing, they feel loved,
and inspired. When they have a part in it or a say , they feel empowered, and
accomplished.
What kid wouldn't want to hold a knife and cut veggies? Well, my kids love it!
They love to stir and pour and turn on the stove and the oven and use hot pads
to get things out of a hot oven.
So anyway, back to the food. I have found that my kids ( for the most part)
like healthy food. I just bought some jicama.
Dallin thought they were fries ready to be baked. Nope.... it's a very healthy snack.
All the kids loved them. Except for my one super picky eater. He wouldn't even try it.
We even started buying some almond milk. It's really good.
So last night I tried a new recipe. Brazilian Black Bean Soup.
And I wish I had a picture of what we made. This picture from google is the closest
to what it looks like. Ours was a little more soupy with more veggies.
Brazilian Black Bean Soup
1 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
2 celery ribs finely chopped
1 small yellow onion finely chopped
1 garlic clove minced
1/2 small poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped. (I bought a pepper that looked like
a poblano pepper, but I don't think it was. It worked just fine.)
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (I used chicken)
2 cups cooked black beans or 1(15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp ground cloves (I was out, so I just didn't use any)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes (you can use more if you like it spicy.. we did)
sea salt to taste
3 Tbs chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Saute the celery, onion, garlic, and
pepper until the veggies start to soften, 4-5 min.
2. Add broth, beans, and all of the spices to the pot and stir until well mixed.
Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 min., stirring occasionally, until the flavors
come together.
3. add cilantro and simmer for another minute. Serve immediately. Any left overs
can be refrigerated for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 4 months.
Serves 4. We doubled it to serve 7 and there was enough for my husbands
lunch today.
(This recipe was taken from The Blood Sugar Solution Cook Book by Mark Hyman MD)
Chloe has been wanting to try some brazilian recipes and this one was really good.
Even Ian (6) and Lilly (9) ate all the onions. I think next time we make it we will
use some fresh guacamole to put in it. You can also use sour cream, but it would
be more fattening.
Try it, and let me know what you think.


Sooooo excited to try this soup. Sounds delicious!! I'll let you know what we think :) ALSO!!! ALMOND MILK!!! Agreed, soooo yum yumm yummmmmmy… !
ReplyDelete