So, my family went to a home school conference
(Thomas Jefferson Education Forum)a couple of weeks ago at
the Salt Palace. It's a pretty big deal and they make
it a huge weekend family event. Friday C and I volunteered in the
"Love of Learning Center" so the parents could attend the adult sessions.
We had about 80 kids in there. Some of those kids were so cute I just
wanted to bring them home with me. I was in charge
of having the kids paint a cute picture for their moms for Mothers day.
I had a little 4 year old boy who only spoke Russian.
Not a lick of English. I did a lot of pointing and high fiving with him
and he would smile so big it would just melt my heart!
I had another 4 year old that was deaf and had some kind of
disability. Oh boy, I wanted him. He would come hold my hand
or sit on my lap and tell me something he liked.
It was good for me to be there. I saw my kids differently.
I saw what they really liked and what they feel passionate about.
I saw them make friends from strangers and they amazed me.
There was a Parenting Conference going on at the same time
downstairs. When we were walking out to go home
we ran into these guys!
Linda and Richard Eyre.
And it so happens to be that they are on my top
10 list of people who have changed my life.
It was a little awkward meeting them.
me: Linda? I just had to meet you. I've read all your books.
Linda: Oh, well, (looking at my children) these must be your children.
me: yes, ( I introduced them and told her I had 3 more)
Linda: Well, you know..6 is the new 9. You are a busy mom, come over here and lets talk.
Richard: Well, hello. It's so nice to meet you.
me: I feel like I know your family so well. I've read all your books and blogs,
your wifes, your daughters, I guess.....I'm ...kind....of ...
( I was going to point out that it looked like I was stalking his family,
but I wasn't really a weirdo or anything I just like ....) but he graciously interrupted and said,
Richard: Like a part of the family!
I decided I was going to limit my speaking, get a picture
with them and get out of there.
They were just as genuine and friendly as I imagined them to be.
They were selling some of their books and of course wanted me to buy one.
I told them I already owned all their books,
but could I bring one tomorrow for them to sign.
"Of course!" they said.
But, the next day I didn't have time and so I thought the picture
with them is good enough!
That day at lunch I also met Cocoa from Chocolate on my Crainium.
She was at City Creek, (which is gorgeous ,by the way, and crowded.)
with her family. What a friendly lady.
So my kids loved all the escalators there at the Salt Palace.
If you've ever watched "Elf"
you will understand this picture of my kids.
It was fun.
The next day on Saturday C, S and I went back to the Forum
for a day of home school enlightenment.
S and C went to the Youth Forum with a load of
friends and I went to Adult Forum with a friend
from my ward.
Lots of my mom friends were there too and it was nice to
be with everyone.
I bought some summer reading books for the kids and was
so pleased to hear that my two teenage daughters want to read
Jane Eyre and Laddie.
Two of my most favorite books in the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment