I was holding E trying to get him to go
to sleep when we heard the fire alarm
from down stairs. C went and checked
it out.
"Mom, I smell smoke"
S grabbed the baby who started crying, and told
everyone to get out of the house. Lill's started crying
and I went to the stairs and sure enough the smell
was really strong, but I didn't see any smoke.
We all went outside, some without shoes,
and no one had a jacket. I didn't even notice
it until after I called 911 and then my husband.
I was suppose to bring my husband's bookkeeper
a bunch of stuff and it was all in the house.
For just a second while I was talking to my husband
I realized we could lose everything. I said
"Babe, everything is in the house, I didn't grab
anything!"
"It's okay," He said. "It's okay, dont worry."
This is exactly what I needed to hear.
I got off the phone and the Fire Dept. was here
and he asked if everyone was out of the house.
"Yes, Yes, everyone is out."
Then, my neighbor Tammy brought out jackets
and blankets for my kids to wrap up in. And I
tried to console Lills.
D left with my friend Rachelle to a club and
ended up coming home about 10 min later
because he was worried and wanted to be with us.
Of course he was , I should have never sent him away.
When he came back he started crying.
Well, the fire men went in and came out and
couldn't find anything. He said it smelled like
paper burning, but it could just be lint caught in
a vent. If it happened again please call us.
Then he tried to console Lills. He asked them
if they were playing with paper by the furnace.
they said no and then we talked to the kids about
our family's meeting place. Right here by the mail box.
All was good, except the basement still smells of smoke.
They opened all the windows and turned on the fans.
I took some pictures of the fire truck and Lills and D
sitting inside it.
That was cool.
Then they left. And that's when I started thinking
about what just happened.
I thought about all of us being together and safe.
I was very impressed about how my two oldest girls
took control and got the little ones out of the house
while I was calling 911.
Then I thought of Tammy and how gracious it was
of her to bring out jackets and blankets for my children.
She offered her house too but everyone wanted to
see what was going to happen if anything.
I realized that we have great neighbors and that
they are great examples or missionaries if you will.
They care about us and we care about them and that's
what it's all about.
Then I thought of the things we needed in just those
few minutes we were all outside. Like shoes.
We all came into the house and updated our
Family Fire Escape Plan and what we needed for
72 hour kits. In backpacks near our beds that can
be grabbed quickly.
Then I went through the house to see if I could find
anything. I did. My room in the basement, was a mess
my underwear completely visible!
And my kids obviously didn't clean their room either.
Those little stinkers.
I took the clothes out of the dryer and they just
reeked of smoke. This is where it started.
My husband will clean the vents out this weekend.
I have parent teacher conferences tonight.
I love hearing great stuff about my son.
It makes me so thankful for being
able to be a mother to six beautiful children.
Wowowowowow. I'm so impressed with the organization! And we're so glad your house was not on fire! That is a scary experience... thanks for sharing it. It's time we update our kits and communicate our plans. We love you guys and miss seeing you!
ReplyDeleteYes, I think God allows these things to happen to help us be prepared for real emergencies. I am going to do better too. My family needs so many things to be ready for a disaster. Oh, how great it will feel if we are all ready and know we have what we need in case of an emergency. I love the idea of having the backpacks in the rooms where they can be reached at ANY moment. Good idea.
ReplyDelete