Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Life style change


My family has had to make some changes in our lifestyle.
It's a good thing and a hard thing too.

We are not a super active family, with things like sports
and outdoor activities. We are not active in staying fit and
eating right, or just doing things we need to. We procrastinate a lot.
And it's because ...well....we are just lazy. That is what I have come up with.

It's easy to stay in where it's warm, not to get up on time, because of tiredness,
not to make a homemade breakfast because...Hello, I'm blog
hopping, or blogging, or facebooking, or I'm on the phone, I'm busy!
(doing things that are maybe important, but not as important)

It's terrible isn't it? And we are missing out on so much. Time to
get outside where it's absolutely beautiful, even the snow, time
to do Yoga (or any kind of work out) to feel strong and capable,
and making safe and happy memories with my children when I make
something warm and healthy for them to start off their day.

See what I mean?

Certain health concerns and behavior concerns have forced me to
reevaluate how I'm doing things, and what needs to change.

The first big one is Healthy Eating

1. WAY LESS SUGAR
2. Little to no sodium
3. More, more, and more veggies
4. Meat, maybe once a week. That's it!
5. Desserts on Sunday (more, if there is a party or something going on)
6. Cook everything from scratch. EVERYTHING, so I know what is in it.
7. No whites! White potatoes, white rice, white flour, white sugar

Yep, it's super intimidating, and it threw me off  and still is a little.
Having to prepare every meal takes time. A lot of time. But I have
learned a few tricks to help me.

*Grocery shop once a week so produce stays fresh in your fridge.
*Crock pot meals are a lifesaver.
*Buy veggies and cut them up and put them in baggies for the meals
   you're going to make throughout the week. Get the kids involved. I'm still trying
   to master that one, but I see the benefits of doing it
*I buy all kinds of dry beans, cook them in my crock pot and freeze them until
   I need them. Once a day I'll make some beans unless I'm making a meal that day
   in my crock pot.  Having beans on hand has been really helpful. Especially for my
   husband. He'll make a salad to take to lunch and throw in some beans for the protein
   so he doesn't eat meat.
*Taking 5 slow breaths before eating really helps to slow down a little. Take time to
   eat and enjoy the tastes and textures your are eating.  When you eat slower, you fill
   up faster so you don't eat as much. Enjoy the company you are with too.

I think a lot of what we eat is connected to bad behavior. It also helps
us have energy. So right now I'm focusing on the healthy eating.

The recipes I post on here are the recipes I'm making my family and
so far it has been a success.  We all can enjoy the same meals together
and we feel so much lighter and better.





1 comment: