some of the girls got to the top and ran back down to help the others
The events that happened before the women's pull were pretty awesome.
Before Trek, I asked a neighbor if she wanted to go to Trek.
She is 20 and autistic. Her name is Sarah. She wanted to go and so
we let her watch a video of a past trek so she could get an idea of
what it would be like. She got more and more excited about it.
We got her clothes made and she borrowed a bonnet from a friend.
She was ready. I worried about her though because she is a silent sufferer.
we let her watch a video of a past trek so she could get an idea of
what it would be like. She got more and more excited about it.
We got her clothes made and she borrowed a bonnet from a friend.
She was ready. I worried about her though because she is a silent sufferer.
She wont complain at all.
We stopped for a break right before the pull and I noticed the tops
of her hands were burned. They were bright red and I could tell
they hurt. I sat in front of her and rubbed sun screen on her hand
while I reminded her to tell someone when she is in pain.
I asked her about her feet and she said they hurt, so I went and got Suzette
one of our medical people. Suzette helped Sarah take her shoes and socks off
and she was so blistered. Sarah started to cry. She begged for her mom.
What could I do but love on her and tell her that it would be okay.
She laid in my lap and cried while she was getting her feet wrapped up.
Meanwhile , right next to me, was another girl, Ashley, who had a bloody nose.
It would not stop and had been bleeding for about 20 min.
She was scared because she had never had a bloody nose that bad before.
Before Trek, Sarah's mom told me that Sarah got severe bloody noses.
She would have her lay down on her stomach, put her toes on the ground so her
feet stood tall, and then Sarah's mom would kick the bottoms of her feet
like a soccer ball. Apparently, wrestlers do that.
like a soccer ball. Apparently, wrestlers do that.
My Sara got a bad bloody nose right before Trek
and we did it to her and it worked!
So we did it to Ashley. It wasn't easy kicking her feet with blisters
on both of our feet and It didn't work right away, but her
nose did stop bleeding real soon after.
So, while Sarah was laying on my lap, I was going to ask
Bishop Gibbons to give her a ride to the top of the mountain.
(A side note: Bishop Gibbon's is Sarah's school bus driver
and they have been good friends for a long time.)
She would have missed the women'd pull.
I had a feeling to ask her about it first.
"Sarah do you know about the women's pull?"
" Yes, I saw it on the video."
"Do you want to do the Women's pull?"
"YES!" she said very matter of fact.
"okay," I said."Let's get you all wrapped up and you can do it."
Bishop Gibbon's gave her a ride to the bottom of the hill where
the woman's pull would start.
A few other girls were getting ready for the women's pull too. One that had
knee issues, one with back issues and many girls
had blisters galore. Some of the Ma's decided they couldn't do the pull
because one couldn't get her heart rate down and another had a knee injury.
They were so upset.
At that break right before the pull,
because one couldn't get her heart rate down and another had a knee injury.
They were so upset.
At that break right before the pull,
all three medical people were working the whole time
on lines of girls and boys needing their feet tended to. The medical
team was no exception...

No comments:
Post a Comment