We are finally able to walk normally. Our blisters are healing,
our laundry is just about done, our snot is not brown anymore,
our burns are peeling away and our skin softening once again.
Tony's cracked lips are healing too.
What an experience Trek was. By far the hardest I've experienced.
It was hot and dry and dusty. 95 degrees with no shade except what
you could find in the shadows of trucks and underneath them but only
when we stopped for a break. .
The dust was deep and silty and it permeated every inch of clothing
we had on. We had dust in every crack and cranny we had on our bodies.
It was worse to get a ride on an ATV (because the dust was awful) than
just to walk even though the pain was....painful.
We had crying youth and crying adults that were exhausted and in pain.
We had our Medical team who were constantly working on others' feet
when they needed care themselves. I had a friend making sure I wasn't
getting anymore burned than I already was by covering me up with her
bandana, only to see her with blisters from a sunburn around her neck.
Our equipment people made sure everything was in order, so things were
easy to find when we walked into camp every evening and at the end of trek
getting equipment back where it needed to go. Our truck drivers always made
room for those who couldn't walk anymore. Our Activity committee had
everything set up and ready to go even though they were suffering too.
Our Food committee had the food ready for everyone and it was the best
food we had ever had! All of our support team, Ma's and Pa's, Aunts and
Uncles, were amazing and did everything they were asked to do and they
stayed happy and positive. The Stake Young Woman's and Young Men's
Presidencies worked tirelessly before, during and after trek to make sure
everything was done properly. The love of our Heavenly Father worked
through these amazing people and the youth felt it and so did the adults.
Those youth found they are stronger than they thought they were, that they
could do hard things. They felt the spirit. Which is just what we wanted.
As far as I know, no one got a tick. And it wasn't that cold at night. All of
us were warm enough. I was actually hot and had to take off my extra blanket.
As we look back and assess how it all went down, we second guess our
performance , and then get a confirmation that what we did was enough,
and that it was just what was needed. Of course there are things that can be
improved, but we will work through all of that at the next "debrief" meeting.
I'm thankful for the experience all the way around. I'm a little sad that it's
over, some of our new friendships will continue, however, via facebook. Ha ha!
There were some amazing experiences I will share on separate posts. I want
them for my History, and hope you will feel the strength of them too.
We Can Do Hard Things!
Pictures and Experiences coming up....
No comments:
Post a Comment