Bishopric next week. We have known about it for a few weeks now
and it's been fun to hear all the speculation going on. One of the ladies
in relief society wanted us (me and a the second counselors wife) to tell
her who was called to be the next Bishop. Cindy just told her to go home
and pray and fast about it. Yes, that's what I was going to say. :)
My husband knew he would be called to be the Bishop. He didn't want it
but he knew it was coming. I felt the same way and felt like I was being being
prepared for it. When the Stake President called, Tony said, "That was the call."
and I felt a warmth pour on the top of my head and run down my body to my
toes. When we were done with the interview with the Stake Pres., we walked home.
I felt so happy. Not that he was called to be the Bishop but because I knew Heavenly
Father knew me and Tony personally. He had let us know what he needed us to
do and he prepared us for it. I felt so loved by Him. I was elated! I promised Heavenly
Father right then and there I would NEVER complain one bit about anything he had
to do for the ward, the meetings he would need to attend or ANYTHING. I didn't
dare do it. You maybe could have heard a sigh once in a great while but never
a complaint.
It's been 6 years and 1 month for my husband, as the bishop, and about 3 1/2
years as a counselor. So for 9 1/2 years I've been sitting in Sacrament Meeting
alone with my kids. It hasn't been bad though. I guess it was a hard when the kids
were younger but, now, it's good. Ian doesn't go to sleep during Sacrament
Meeting to escape the anxiety of going to Primary anymore. And the kids are pretty
happy with just a pen and paper to entertain themselves when they are not listening
to the speakers. They do listen to the speakers too because they are genuinely
interested in what they have to say. Amazing. We always tried to get my husbands
attention up there on the stand just to get a wink or a smile of acknowledgement.
We got his look of chastisement when we happened to be rowdy and he just rolled
his eyes at us when Ian accidently poured the sacrament water in his eye and I
couldn't stop laughing.
years as a counselor. So for 9 1/2 years I've been sitting in Sacrament Meeting
alone with my kids. It hasn't been bad though. I guess it was a hard when the kids
were younger but, now, it's good. Ian doesn't go to sleep during Sacrament
Meeting to escape the anxiety of going to Primary anymore. And the kids are pretty
happy with just a pen and paper to entertain themselves when they are not listening
to the speakers. They do listen to the speakers too because they are genuinely
interested in what they have to say. Amazing. We always tried to get my husbands
attention up there on the stand just to get a wink or a smile of acknowledgement.
We got his look of chastisement when we happened to be rowdy and he just rolled
his eyes at us when Ian accidently poured the sacrament water in his eye and I
couldn't stop laughing.
My husband has been the bishop the whole 6 years Tony Jr. has been in
Young Mens. He has taught the Young Women on every 4th Sunday.
He's had 9-12 hour Sundays and 2-4 hour Tuesday evenings plus fun Youth
Conferences, visiting girls camp, scout camps, trips to the temple with the youth
and the ward. One where they visited all the temples in Utah. One or two temples
a month. He's been to all the Young Women's General Meetings, and Some Relief
Society General Meetings. He also earned his Wood Badge Award during this time.
I had to go to hospital (when I was pregnant) while he was at Youth Conference, out
of town. We had our baby (Ian) NOT while he was out of town, thank goodness.
We endured 2 of the Ian's surgeries. He was also out of town with the youth when
I had to bring Lilly to the hospital after she tripped over a step stool and bashed her
face into the corner of the wall. She was sedated and got stitches and temporary
braces to bring her teeth back in place. His brother stayed with us during cancer
treatments and then passed away while we went through a financial crisis
for 4 years, and the windows of Heaven were literally opened and blessings
were poured out on our family. We had neighbors, ward members, family
and people we didn't even know, become instruments in God's hands in our behalf.
We learned so much about serving and loving. We deepened our relationship with
each other and our Savior.
Young Mens. He has taught the Young Women on every 4th Sunday.
He's had 9-12 hour Sundays and 2-4 hour Tuesday evenings plus fun Youth
Conferences, visiting girls camp, scout camps, trips to the temple with the youth
and the ward. One where they visited all the temples in Utah. One or two temples
a month. He's been to all the Young Women's General Meetings, and Some Relief
Society General Meetings. He also earned his Wood Badge Award during this time.
I had to go to hospital (when I was pregnant) while he was at Youth Conference, out
of town. We had our baby (Ian) NOT while he was out of town, thank goodness.
We endured 2 of the Ian's surgeries. He was also out of town with the youth when
I had to bring Lilly to the hospital after she tripped over a step stool and bashed her
face into the corner of the wall. She was sedated and got stitches and temporary
braces to bring her teeth back in place. His brother stayed with us during cancer
treatments and then passed away while we went through a financial crisis
for 4 years, and the windows of Heaven were literally opened and blessings
were poured out on our family. We had neighbors, ward members, family
and people we didn't even know, become instruments in God's hands in our behalf.
We learned so much about serving and loving. We deepened our relationship with
each other and our Savior.
It's been humbling to see Tony come home from meetings weary and then walk
in on him kneeling in prayer for our ward members. And when he's frustrated
when there is so much need and we couldn't see how it was all going to work
out and it somehow does. When he speaks to the ward in such an eloquent and
loving way and helps others to come closer to the Savior. And when he comes
home so proud of the good work everyone is doing in their callings and see a worry
lifted from his shoulders.
in on him kneeling in prayer for our ward members. And when he's frustrated
when there is so much need and we couldn't see how it was all going to work
out and it somehow does. When he speaks to the ward in such an eloquent and
loving way and helps others to come closer to the Savior. And when he comes
home so proud of the good work everyone is doing in their callings and see a worry
lifted from his shoulders.
It hasn't been all roses. He's made mistakes and he's made people mad and there
were times when he didn't know what to do but Heavenly Father was right there
helping him through all of it. He's grown so much and I was a witness. He loves
the people in our ward; that much I know.
I felt so "watched". One of my friends told me that "absolutely" people were
watching me. During Sacrament meeting and how I dealt with my children. I was
put on a pedastool. My friend said that she was intimidated to be my friend at first
because I was the Bishop's wife. I did not like that part of it. Sometimes I would
show people just how imperfect I was so they would feel more comfortable around
me but I would have to be careful to set a good example. Sometimes I was outgoing
and wanted to meet everyone in the ward and shake everyone's hand and other
times I felt so shy I wanted to go hide in a corner so no one could see me. Ever!
Some of the members would call me "The Mother of the Ward" when I felt so
inadequate to be a mother of my own children. And some members called me
"Sister Bishop". Sometimes I would feel proud of that and other times I just got
a little bugged.
I wanted to be as eloquent as my husband when I spoke or taught, but I wasn't.
Most of the time I just tried to be myself and just do what was right for my growing
family.
I learned a lot during those years. A lot about myself and my weaknesses. And how
I can be a better follower of Christ. His disciple. And how I can love people the
way He does. And how being myself is the best place because He made me. He
has given me my own strengths and talents. He loves me and I am His daughter
and I can do much good with His guidance.
So, being the Bishop's wife was pretty awesome. There were some awesome things
I was able to do just because he was the Bishop. Like: cool trainings, visiting Girls
camp, and meeting a member of the Seventy and his sweet wife. I got to kiss the
Bishop on the lips. No one else had that privilege.:)
It's been an awesome 6 years of "growing" and learning. I am excited for those
who are called next to have their own experience getting to know the Savior better.
That is why we are here. It's hard and we cry and we pray and then we pray some
more and we cry some more and then we learn.
And one thing we must never forget. We are never left alone. NEVER.
Kelly, i loved reading this! We are so proud of both of you for how much you've grown during the past few years...we've "watched" from afar and know that your ward is very lucky to have had both of you serving the ward in the bishopric these past 9 1/2 years! Can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for you guys now...
ReplyDeleteWow. That was awesome!
ReplyDeleteWe LOVE you guys!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing your feelings Kelly. What a neat experience. You made me cry.
ReplyDeleteJust want to say that I think both you and Uncle Tony are the best in the world. Love you lots!
ReplyDelete