School has started and I didn't take any pictures of the two. T started his Freshman year in College. Working part time and school part time and maintaining his truck( had to replace the windshield and get the safety and emissions done so can get the thing registered) and a cell phone bill soon. Well, welcome to independence! He loves it, but he's tired and has realized he has to squeeze in social time where he can.
S started her Sophomore year in High School.A new year with her cousin Lauren. So exciting! She is so on top of everything and has everything under her control. She's pretty good at prioritizing her time. She loves her classes and is making friends all over the place!
C, D, Lills and E will start next week. Our year is pretty packed full of some fun experiences. C is starting again at Shining Light Commonwealth taking Key of Liberty (a study of our Founding Fathers and the Declaration of Independence), Social Dance and ice skating . I will be teaching her, her friend Becca and her cousin Julia Literature and Becca's mom is teaching them Biology and Chemistry I believe. She is also taking this cool photography class on line.
D Flash Animation on line, Soccer or whatever sport he decides which could include swimming or basketball (UGH!) and Literature and math.
Lills is taking a photography class, swimming, math and literature. She is going to a great tutor(Alicia Wrathall, let me know if you want her number. She is AMAZING)to help her read.
E is starting with his own stuff this year and is so excited to have a planner like everyone else. :)
Some fun stuff too: Cooking and sewing. I want to get some new curtains in my kitchen and living room and
trash those darn blinds. We want to cut up the clothes I've been saving from my kids and make each child a quilt. I'm thinking this is a huge project that will probably take me about 2-10 years.
We will see how we all fare this year. It looks fun but it's easier said than done.
I have been in a huge purging phase which has helped everything have a place in our tiny home.
It's hasn't been that hard and so relieving to have a bunch of stuff gone so I don't have to think about it any more.
I'm so grateful for so many things. My mom and dad have moved back into town and I have the most amazing husband and kids. I just love them all so much. We were able to go on an amazing vacation with my family (I will post pictures when I can.) I think I have grown a little wiser and happier. I love my life.
The awesome books we are reading this year:
Lills:
Little House In The Big Woods
The Courage of Sarah Noble
the White Stallion
The Boxcar Children
D:
The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe
The Bronze Bow
Carry on Mr. Bowditch
Big Red
C:
I am David
The Giver
7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
The Door in the Wall
Laddie
Some for Key of Liberty:
The Red Scarf Girl
The Freedom Factor
The Landing of the Pilgrims
Fifty-Five Fathers
and a bunch more.
Family Out Loud Reading:
Half Magic
Summer of the Monkeys
Up date on this post. The reading is going Great! I love reading. Dallin reads his books out loud to me which helps with his comprehension. The online classes are hard. I wont ever do on line Computer Tech classes again. It would be so much better in a classroom setting with a teacher right there for help. And because I'm not very computer savvy, it's not going too great. Math and Literature are going great too. Lilly and Ian both love math. I am teaching them the little Spanish I know. Right they are learning the days of the week.
Chloe is taking Social Dance and loves, loves, loves it. I'm signing the rest of the kids up for swimming lessons in the next couple of weeks.
We are taking a field trip once a month with some other home school families and it's been pretty fun. In September we hiked up a trail at Brighten Ski Resort to Mary's Lake. It was a beautiful Fall day, perfect weather,and the lake was so pretty. We had a picnic up there too. The kids had fun throwing rocks in the water and trying to catch the little fish in their sandwich baggies. :)
October we had a Free Enterprise Day. We met at a park where the kids set up their places of business where they sold something. They had to have a sign and a business license(that they could buy for a dime) posted so they were official. Then they could sell, or barter for what they wanted. Dallin sold Origami frogs, Hearts, and Boomerangs and lessons to learn how. Lilly sold Lemonade which worked out great because the drinking fountains didn't work. She had competition with a boy selling Hot Chocolate and Wassail. I think they made the same amount of money though. They learned so much: How to count change back, what they should have done for better business. Dallin needed to turn his table around so more people could see his sign. Then he went around trading his goods so people would know what he had. It was really fun, and we were lucky again to have perfect weather. My kids, together, made $8.55 that they are saving for wood for a tree house.
Okay, this post is long enough.....more later.
Happy Sunday and Monday everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment