Addy is my favorite American girl.
We've had a lot of fun learning about her.
She is a slave girl. When her Papa and brother get sold,
ripping their family apart, Addy's mom realizes it's time to
run from slavery to Philadelphia where they were planning
on going before they were separated. They had to leave
their baby Ester behind with Auntie LuLu and Uncle Solomon
for fear of her crying and getting them found out.
Will their family ever be together again? Read the series
Addy, An American Girl and find out!
You won't be disappointed!
Here are some activities we've done so far....
Each girl received a piece of cloth to use as a
tote bag/picnic blanket.
We have lunch together and the cloth makes
a perfect blanket to sit on.
Here it is as a tote bag.
Lills is showing the apron and the
Ida Bean doll we made.
A closer look at the doll. We made her out of a
couple black crew socks. We used beads for the face,
unraveled yarn for the hair, and tacked on the
arms with colorful buttons. The girls loved them.
We also made Sweet Potato Pudding but only
a couple girls were brave enough to actually try it.
It tasted like pumpkin pie filling only not as firm.
I have a ton left over that I will make Sweet potato
muffins with!
YUM!
We also learned about slavery,the underground railway,
plantations, the Emancipation Proclamation,
plantations, the Emancipation Proclamation,
Segregation, and a lot about loving eachother.
We've also memorized poems, made an abacus,
and bread dough letters.
Today we listened to a great version of
We've also memorized poems, made an abacus,
and bread dough letters.
Today we listened to a great version of
"This Little Light of Mine"! Remember that song?
It's been so much fun so far and
we are only half way through. More to come!

My daughters loved these dolls and books, too.
ReplyDeleteWhat a fun way to learn about history! I have the Kirsten doll! She had her 25th anniversary a couple of years back and was retired...and I got her way back then when I little...That tells you how old I am! :)
ReplyDeleteWhat a great way to learn. Love the ideas. Sometimes the kids like the most simple of toys don't they?!
ReplyDeleteI've bought a couple of these for one of my daughters recently but she hasn't delved into them yet. This would definitely get her attention and help her to love the books more.
ReplyDeleteMy girls LOVE these dolls! I take the opportunity to use their stories in our schooling too. ;) Great unit study material!
ReplyDelete