Monday, January 17, 2011

A few idea's

an American Girls Club outing a few years ago


Today, while I was meditating I had a few idea's
about school, church, crafts, and my new
years resolution.

1 new years resolution! 1!
Be more consistent with Family Prayer
morning and night.
Now that I have teenagers it seems like
there are a lot of comings and goings. This goal
isn't as easy as it sounds. We've done pretty
good so far though. Sometimes we have
Family Prayer right after dinner or right before
just to get it in. It has helped me just knowing
we are doing it consistently.
Consistently, consistently.....
everything works if you do it consistently!!!!

School:
I have taught my children at home now for 11+
years and we have had a good time of it.
American Girls Club and Knights of Freedom
have been true highlights of my children's
childhood. They have been involved in Co-ops
too which have been fun. Through it all
we've done some really fun activities and
made some really fun crafts.
In my experience, when my children can identify
with a time in history (or any other subject)
emotionally, it sticks.
Forever.

My daughter memorized the Declaration of Independence
(excluding the injuries of the King) and it has poured
out from her as she has written papers and how she
asks questions about politics. It has become part of
who she is because of the experiences she had while
memorizing it.

When my older daughters were younger, their History
classes happened at American Girls Club.

They read the American Girl series which are books about
fictional characters in real historical events.
They do activities and learn real life lessons.
They remember those lessons and they
have so much fun learning about History!

This year we have learned about Josephina
and her life living in New Mexico before it became
part of the United States. Fun stuff... Fun history!

Knights of Freedom is similar only for boys. They read
about great men and learn to become great men and
members of society!

Anyways.... I thought it would be fun to post
the activities and crafts we have done and will be doing
and pictures of it all.

Church:
I now teach the Sunbeams and I am a Wolf
Den Leader. I spend a lot of time and effort into
my children's education and seem to prepare
lessons and scout activities with less gusto.
What if I put equal effort into my church callings?
They would be great fun. I know! The kids would
learn great things from the scriptures and about
Heavenly Fathers love for them and they
would learn they can't get through life with
out our Savior. And they would learn the courage it
takes to live a good life.

Maybe that is a New Years resolution too.
To teach with my testimony in my church callings
with as much passion as I use to teach my children at home.

Yes, that'll do pig! That'll do.

No comments:

Post a Comment