Monday, May 24, 2010

School planning in session.


Today is the start of our summer,
and it snowed this morning.
What the heck?

The kids have been playing games (secretary,
Pokemon,Apple to Apples, and now Monopoly) all
afternoon while I have been planning
next years curriculum.

I have homeschooled my children now for 10 years.
I was so gung ho and involved for many of those
years then I got overwhelmed and burnt out!

So, for the last 1 1/2 years we have been doing
k12 which I have loved and hated. All year I
was torn. I would be using k12's curriculum
only to get frustrated and go back to my books.
My math, my literature, my history etc...

This next year I'm using all my stuff!
That I love by-the-way!
And I'm excited.
I will post my latest discoveries that work for my family
and maybe they will work for yours.

I'm very easily inspired and sometimes I'll
get so excited about something only to forget
about it in a couple of weeks. Are you like that?

The things I post will be things that have stuck and
maybe a few experiments along the way!

So to start....
Family relationships.

I asked my children one night what they thought
was the best holiday we have ever had.
All of us needed to agree on one.
Well, they all decided it was Family Days! Hands down!

Not Christmas? Not Thanksgiving?
No, it is Family Days.

Our Family Days look something like this...

Wake up late, eat something scrumptious together
(it doesn't really matter what it is) while we have
scripture study.

Go see a movie.

Go out to lunch or dinner. We like to eat at different
places. So far we have gone to Chili's, Bucca di peppo,
Thai Delight, Chuck-a-rama, Johnny Carino's,
Olive Garden.....

Hangout somewhere, like a park
or at home, maybe take a nap.

Make dinner together,

Eat,

Then either read together (sometimes it's fun to
read our own separate books in the same room cuddling
or read a book we are all interested in. Like right now
we are reading The BFG together)
or watch another movie( We LOVE movies.)

Tell stories (my husband can tell the Best
adventure stories) and go to bed late.

It's fun and it has helped my children love being together.
It also fills us with a lot of positive feelings so we can deal
with each other on regular days. My older kids
have a different attitude that day, and they really try
to love their younger siblings. Love being an action word,
they are kinder, more helpful and just plain fun!
We try to have a Family Day monthly.

This Stuck!

That's it! This is a good foundation for LOVE in our
family. Anything can be built upon this foundation
including our Homeschooling adventure!

3 comments:

  1. Kelly,

    This sounds so fun. I want to start family days in our family too. You have such great ideas. I am so glad you are excited for next year already. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about the snow! That's just crazy! Family days ARE the best. I love the agenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is just awesome! You give me some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete